R35 Nissan GTR Xtreme Audio Subwoofer Upgrade
Looking for the best performing plug and play subwoofer upgrade for your R35 GTR? This system is it. The Xtreme-Audio Twin 8 series systems are the highest performance, easiest to install and best looking ready to install custom GTR audio solution available. These systems are handmade by an audio expert and GTR owner/enthusiast for other GTR owners. There are no compromises in this system and a Twin 8 system has been the heart of the Xtreme-Audio GTR for the last five years. Looking to purchase a system for your own GTR? All options are available in our store with transactions being safe and secure through PayPal. Please do contact us with any questions you have. The story of our Twin 8 series subwoofer upgrade is below.
The R35 GTR is an iconic Japanese supercar with a long-standing history of being an incredibly fast production vehicle. One shortcoming however, is that the factory stereo system does not measure up to the GTR standard of high performance. In fact, in many cases the bass provided by the factory GTR audio system is difficult to hear over any aftermarket exhaust. You may wonder why the bass is underwhelming because the factory subwoofer box looks like a large and somewhat impressive housing with Bose subwoofers. In reality, the factory subwoofers are free-air bass drivers that are 2″ in depth that vent into the trunk. The small size and minimal excursion of the factory subwoofers prevent them from being able to produce the amount of bass that you would typically hope for. To leverage the existing actively processed three-way front component speakers and enhance the overall sound without significant modifications, we chose to only focus on a drastically improved bass solution. So let’s get into the specifics of why this system is so special and sounds so great:
The new R35 Twin 8 series subwoofer enclosure is acoustically engineered. Every curve, angle, and measurement is by design with the goal to sound as good as possible in the GTR cabin. EQ parametric micing has been taken into consideration to overcome the unique interior pressure and shape of the GTR. The mounting angles of the subwoofers are also designed to produce optimal wave propagation and have the sound stage converge exactly at the driver and passenger seating positions. The inside of the box is the exact spec volume for the subwoofers and there are no sharp angles inside the box to eliminate any airflow turbulence. Sound testing included a six-month trial period in controlled and real-world driving conditions. In total, this system has over 1 year of research and testing invested and the original version of the twin 8 has been producing deep and accurate bass over the last 5 years. There is no compromise anywhere in this subwoofer upgrade.
GTR Twin 8 Bass Upgrade Features
- No space is lost in the trunk from a bulky enclosure, direct Bose subwoofer replacement.
- 500 clean and continuous watts provides the power needed for the perfect sound.
- Interior upgrade by eliminating large amounts of plastic while also dramatically improving the factory sound.
- Designed to be installed by the end user resulting in cost savings.
- Newly sourced upholstery and stitching that perfectly matches the factory GTR interior.
- GTR specific design that eliminates the guess work from the install.
- Bass that compliments the factory speakers without overpowering or distorting the factory speakers.
- Gold plated accessories (mounting bolts and speaker terminals).
- Quality wiring and connections
- Tuned and tested prior to shipment so it is ready to rock right out of the box.
- Custom made connections for true factory like plug and play functionality.
- Multiple equipment options for listening preferences
- Ability to further customize your setup if you would like a “one-of” (custom shape, slopes, stitching colour).
All subwoofers offered are 8″ subwoofers. Alpine and Focal are the subwoofers available with JL Audio amplification and AudioControl active processing (for 2015+). All products offered have been selected to produce the best possible sound in the GTR cabin. The primary equipment sourced for this GTR audio upgrade is the Focal Flax, Alpine Type-R, and Type-S subwoofers. However, upon special request, a JL Audio twin 8W3-V3 or single 8W7 version can be made available. No other subwoofers are recommended for this upgrade.
Countless hours have been invested in research and development to create a customer-centric experience where you as the end user are able to install this system yourself. Installing the custom parts yourself brings about a sense of pride while also saving you installation costs. The install is designed to be simple and intuitive by using the same bolt holes and openings that the factory subwoofer system uses. A comprehensive installation manual with pictures comes with the package, but you are always welcome to reach out if you have questions. Everything you need for the install (excluding tools) is included with your order. All orders include the following:
- Enclosure with wired and mounted subwoofers.
- Amplifier with all processing and audio signal connections completed.
- Amplifier to enclosure mounting plate.
- Trunk trim coverings (to conceal all wiring).
- Enclosure mounting brackets and bolts.
The Xtreme Audio Plug and Play amplifier rack bolts directly onto the back of the enclosure. Power cables are run through an existing hole and a specially manufactured plug allows direct plug and play compatibility with the factory GTR wiring. To summarize, there are no holes drilled, no screws, no cutting wires anywhere in the installation of this bass upgrade. The amp is accessible through the trunk with a gain control to adjust the bass to your preferences. Each system comes pre-tuned to maximize performance. Total install time is approximately 1-2 hours depending on your comfort level. All installation hardware is provided. To install this system you will need a 4mm Allen key, 14mm socket, 10mm socket, and a flat screwdriver.
Where Have We Sold Our System?
We sell our GTR subwoofer systems globally. Xtreme Audio is based in Canada, so the bulk of sales are located within North America. However, systems have been shipped globally as far as Laos! To date, there are over 35 full plug and play GTR stereo systems creating high-quality and crisp sounding bass for customers at home, and internationally. The location of our systems sold in North America can be seen in the map below:
2009 Alpha 9 GTR owner: “Unbelievable sound…I can’t believe the difference between this system and my previous Audison system from R35 Audio.”
2010 Alpha 7 GTR owner: “Very impressive bass without being just bass and nothing else.”
2012 GTR Black Edition owner: “Super clean install for the price. This system is very affordable.”
Yota_Co Instagram Social Media Expert: “This system is ridiculous and the sound balance is insane. This needs to be in every GTR.”
Frequently Asked Questions?
- Q: How much bass does this system really add?
- A: This system adds is approximately double the bass output of the factory depending on your settings. This system also reaches far more of the bass spectrum when compared to the factory subwoofers.
- Q: Does the added bass overpower the factory speakers and will I need to upgrade my speakers?
- A: No, the new subwoofers actually compliment the factory speakers very well and there is no need to upgrade your speakers.
- Q: How much does the system weigh?
- A: The total system weight depends on the subwoofers you go with. The twin Alpine R curve plug and play is the heaviest system and comes in at 32lb (14.5kg).
- Q: I have no experience working on cars, is this something I can really take on myself and how long will the install take?
- A: The install is very simple for 2009-2014 cars. Even if you have no experience, you will finish the install in under two hours. If you have a 2017+ GTR, there are a few more steps and it is common for the install to take 3.5 hours if you have no experience.
- Q: How is your customer service? If I have problems or questions can I reach out to you?
- A: Customer service is taken very seriously. Our response time during the day via email is typically under one hour. We respond to emails 7 days a week.
- Q: How fast is your shipping and why is it a fixed rate?
- A: Shipping within North America is typically 6 business days. Due to the size and weight of the box, there is almost no price difference between shipping relatively short distances or long distances. This excludes over-seas shipping as we airship overseas for security and speed.
- Q: Is there a way for me to get my subwoofer upgrade faster?
- A: Absolutely, if we have the system you would like in stock we can arrange different shipping methods to get the system to you in 2-5 business days using priority air shipping.
- Q: I have decided that I would like to purchase a system, how do I go about doing this?
- A: The best way is to simply contact us. We will ensure that the proper equipment is sent out to you at the best price. All payments will be arranged using PayPal and the invoicing will be managed on our end. After the purchase we followup with the tracking information, when the system has been delivered, and after you have installed the system.
Why Choose Our System?
The difference in quality is clear between our system and others commercially available. The Xtreme Audio enclosure utilizes a rhombus style construction with compounding angles allowing our enclosure to have substantially more volume. In addition to amazing sound, this bass upgrade is designed to be a high-quality interior accessory in the GTR. The Xtreme Audio enclosure is created with the utmost care and passion. This is a premium interior audio upgrade for the GTR that has been designed and hand-made in Canada by a GTR owner and enthusiasts for other passionate GTR owners. Each enclosure made at Xtreme Audio is a combination of art and science, and that is why we sign each and every enclosure.